The Shortlist for the 2013 Australian Independent Bookseller Awards has been announced. Voted on by the independent booksellers of Australia, The Indie Awards have a proud tradition of picking the best of the best of Australian writing. All of the previous winners, (Breath by Tim Winton, Jasper Jones by Craig Sylvie, The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do, All That I Am by Anna Funder) have gone on to win other major literary awards.
The sixteen shortlisted books will be vying for the top spot as the Indie ‘Book of the Year’ for 2013. Panels of expert judges (all indie booksellers and avid readers) choose winners from four book categories – Fiction, Debut Fiction, Non-Fiction and Children’s. Independent booksellers from around the country will then vote to select their favourite book for the year. The category winners and the overall ‘Book of the Year’ winner will be announced on Monday, 25 March 2013.
The shortlisted books for the Indie Awards 2013 are:
- Nine Days by Toni Jordan (Text) -- Winner!
- Lost Voices by Christopher Koch (HarperCollins)
- Questions of Travel by Michelle de Kretser (Allen & Unwin)
- The Mountain by Drusilla Modjeska (Random House)
- Lake Eyre by Paul Lockyer (HarperCollins)
- QF32 by Richard de Crespigny (Macmillan) -- Winner!
- Sandakan by Paul Ham (Random House)
- The Essential Leunig: Cartoons from a Winding Path by Michael Leunig (Penguin)
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman (Random House) -- Winner!
- Eleven Seasons by Paul D. Carter (Allen & Unwin)
- The Cartographer by Peter Twohig (HarperCollins)
- Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell (Hachette Little Brown)
- The Convent by Maureen McCarthy (Allen & Uwnin)
- The 26-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton (Macmillan)
- Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan (Allen & Unwin) -- Winner!
- Unforgotten by Tohby Riddle (Allen & Unwin)